On Monday March 12, 2018 we officially launched our 9th limited release, The 1979 Harness Boot.
As per usual, we made all 50 pairs of this limited release available through PRESALE to those on our mailing list first, and within the day... we'd completely SOLD OUT.
These are no longer available for sale, but if you'd like to be kept in the loop for all future releases (we introduce something new every two - three months) please sign up for our mailing list HERE.
The Harness Boot is a classic, steeped in American tradition. Inspired by cavalry soldiers of the Civil War, the Frye Company unveiled their classic square toed Harness Boot in the early 1960s to immediate fanfare. Many brands have followed suit with their own versions of the Harness Boot - from pretty rough and tumble silhouettes to those that are anything but "utilitarian". What defines the laceless style is the classic rivited three strapped, two "O" ringed harness, but otherwise (height, toe shape, heel style, pull-on vs. zip)... anything goes really. An interesting side note - popularity of the style appears to ebb & flow in near direct correlation with the winds of political discourse, reaching near fever pitch levels of consumer interest during times of significant political unrest & motivated social justice activism. I could speak further on why that is or when consumption spikes have occurred over time, but let's just leave it at... we considered the current state of world affairs when settling on the style for our latest limited release.
1979 Harness Boot Features:
- Made-to-measure. Every pair of 1979s will be custom fit/ made-to-measure for YOUR unique feet. We do not stock inventory. We do not build to a "standard". Each boot will be patterned specifically to accommodate not just the length of your foot, but the width of your ball, waist, instep, short heel, and ankle. If you’re local, we’ll have you in shop for a consultation/ sizing, but if you’re based abroad, not to worry - we’ll be sending you a "Fit Kit" (ASAP) directly to your mailbox. Your 1979s will fit unlike any off-the-shelf/ ready to wear pair of shoes/ boots you’ve purchased in the past as we’ll be making these for your feet and your feet alone.
- Colors. The 1979 Harness Boot will be available in 6 colors of Horween Dublin Cowhide - Black(Pictured), Brown Nut (Pictured), Natural Tan, Cobalt Blue, Nordic Red (Burgundy) and Olive Leaf (Deep Forest Green). Too, we also have stock of Charles F. Stead's Repello calf suede in both "Bright Toffee" and "Jet Black". Finally, we'll also be special ordering on request (+$500 CAD) Horween's Shell Cordovan horsehide in a variety of colors.
- Sole/ Heel Profiles. The construction of this boot is slightly different than those in releases past. Still hand-welted obviously, but we've designed the 1979 Harness Boot with a sophisticated tapered waist, visible outstitch from toe to instep and for the very first time a wooden peg sole construction. As always we'll have a few options of protective rubber half sole (or none at all) and heels to choose from, including those pictured. And of course, as always, our full-leather soles, midsoles, and heel stacks are sourced from the world renowned J. Rendenbach leather tannery.
- Zippers. You'll have your choice of either solid brass (gold) or stainless steel (silver) Riri zips.
- Embossed Artwork. As you likely know, we always offer up the opportunity to further personalize your pair of boots by embossing an image of your choosing on the outside left heel (we logo the outside right). We have a fairly extensive portfolio of images (30+) to choose from - most designed in-house with a handful designed in collaboration with local artists. If none of what we make available (off the shelf) speak to you, and you'd like your pair embossed with a custom image (monogram/ etc.) we're of course happy to accommodate (+$100).
- Further Extras - If you'd like your pair Pendleton wool lined (+$100) or have a shifting pad (+$50) installed for motorcycle use, of course we'd be happy to. Shoe Trees (+$50), Matching Belts (+$150) and Shoe Care Kits (Price TBD) will also be available should you so desire.
- Each pair will be individually numbered (1 – 50), come with a certificate of authenticity, and will be accompanied by some additional thank you gifts (to say thanks for being a part of this next chapter in our lil' story) including a Shoe Horn Keychain matched to your 1979s, a logo’d locally crafted canvas dust bag that doubles as a Tote Bag, and... you’ll just have to wait and see on the rest. ;)
- Please review our Returns/ Refunds/ Exchange, Shipping and Repairs/ Resole policies before making any purchase decisions - we want to ensure everyone is on the same page before moving forward.